[ipv6hackers] Dynamic prefixes & privacy (was: IPv6 prefix changing)

Owen DeLong owend at he.net
Sat Mar 17 23:54:32 CET 2012

On Mar 17, 2012, at 10:41 AM, S.P.Zeidler wrote:

> Thus wrote Markus Reschke (madires at theca-tabellaria.de):
>
>> You're right! There's no simple black-or-white situation. But we
>> should consider the average user Joe with his DSL connection most.
>> He doesn't know of IPv6 privacy extensions. So maybe the DSL router
>> should do the job.
>
> By no means. Their OS will likely be Windows, and that will do privacy
> addresses with great enthusiasm.
>
> Users of other OSes will hopefully either have similar defaults or the
> marginal clue needed to switch it on when/where wanted.
>
> Breaking end-to-end always comes at a price. Never do it just because you can.

Having OS default be privacy addresses is certainly less damaging than
breaking end-to-end..

Personally, I think having the OS default be SLAAC and if you want privacy,
you have to turn it on is a fine mechanism. Users that care can educate
themselves. Users that don't care enough to educate themselves will fail
to assure their privacy in other ways anyway.

Owen