[ipv6hackers] IPv6 security (slides and training)

fred bovy fred at fredbovy.com
Fri Nov 11 13:21:38 CET 2011

I can see many good reason for an enterprise moving to IPv6

The new connected enterprises which don(t own a large IPv4 block of
addresses will have no choice than deploying IPv6.

So you will have two Internet, the old IPv4 internet with people who want
to stick with IPv4 and the new connected with IPv6.

Do you think that even if we setup some translation between the IPv4 and
the IPv6 wold, this will scale to provide seamless connectivity between
the two Internet?

I think that the IPv4 folks will quickly have problems communicating with
their partners and customers running IPv6.
Most of the applications on the Internet are Real-Time applications. Video
is #1 but there is also VoIP, WebEX and more.
Do you think that this will be OK with CGN, Double NAT?

This is for me a good reason.

Now you say that IPv6 is immature, untested! But IPv6 6BONE testing
started in 1996!
More than 15 years of tests.

What is enough for you? 20, 30 years of tests?

This is the status of IPv6 deployments:
http://bgp.he.net/ipv6-progress-report.cgi

There are more than 6280 IPv6 Web servers:
http://ipv6.sixy.ch/

All these people are running IPv6 and nobody complained and rollback to
IPV4!

The World IPv6 day, Microsoft as many others started IPv6 on all servers
and did not find any issueŠ.

So what will be enough for you to say that IPv6 is mature? 30 years of
testing?

What will be enough for you to say that IPv6 is tested?

Fred