[ipv6hackers] IPv6 security (slides and training)

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Fri Nov 11 09:31:25 CET 2011

On 11/09/2011 15:57, Carlos Martinez-Cagnazzo wrote:
> I sometimes wonder about all this perceived risks/vulns affecting
> IPv6. There were *a lot* of similar vulns in IPv4 back in the time.

So please explain to me what the motivation is for an enterprise that
already has a mature, secure (for their own definition of secure)
network stack (i.e., v4) to deploy a new, largely untested, immature
network stack that is not only full of bugs, but still evolving? The
argument that "IPv6 is as good as IPv4 was 15 years ago!" is a reason
NOT to deploy it, not the other way around.

Failure to recognize this issue is one of the most important reasons
that IPv6 adoption is still at pathetically low levels, and CGN is seen
as the more attractive option. And don't even get me started on all the
other issues, like lack of DHCP parity.

Don't get me wrong, I still think that ultimately IPv6 is going to be
the answer. It's just way past time for us to accept responsibility for
creating more problems than solutions.

Doug

--

		"We could put the whole Internet into a book."
		"Too practical."