[ipv6hackers] IPv6 security (slides and training)

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Sat Nov 12 02:42:20 CET 2011

On 11/11/2011 17:20, Owen DeLong wrote:

>>> Just like if you want to receive a TV program Colour HD, you need to trash
>>> your old Black and White TV Set you loved so much because it was a gift
>>> from your grand'pa and was still working good after 25 years !
>>
>> ... or, just get the free digital -> analog converter provided by the
>> gummint.
>>

> Fair enough, but, that solution (like the v4 hacks proposed) will not allow you
> to watch that program in colour or in HD. It will provide a significantly degraded
> user experience.

No, it will provide the same user experience that they know, are
comfortable with, and satisfied with.

>> I'm sorry to be so blunt, but the fact that you think this situation is
>> in any way analogous to IPv6 vs IPv4 is a symptom of the exact lack of
>> understanding of the fundamental issues that I was talking about.
>
> Less so than you appear to think.

The analogy is deeply flawed because for existing users there is nothing
about IPv6 that makes IPv4 go away. And the tail for new users is going
to be a lot longer than 2 years.

Doug

--

		"We could put the whole Internet into a book."
		"Too practical."