[ipv6hackers] my IPv6 insecurity slides

Carlos M. Martinez carlosm3011 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 18:35:45 CET 2011

I do catch your drift Alex, and that is exactly my feeling. The public
will never ask things like "I want IPv6" (just as they were not asking
"I want IPv4" back in 1994). However, the public is very sensitive about
"insecure" things.

If we as practitioners communicate the idea that there is something
called IPv6 which seems to be really, really insecure, then the public
will still not know what it is, but they sure will reject it. This is a
case where possitive PR can help very little but negative PR can hurt a lot.

Again, just disabling the thing really seems disproportionate to me. I
have been operating IPv6 Internet-connected networks for quite a few
years, and while I have had my share of security incidentes, not a
single one of them can be attributed to IPv6.

thanks,

Carlos

On 11/24/11 9:11 AM, Alexander | EMINEOX.com wrote:
> Well, in terms of PR I do think there is indeed a problem. Back in the
> days when Internet started to grow, the general public didn't say "Ooh! We
> must have TCP/IP!". No, they wanted to be connected to that new thingy
> called The Internet. Now, of course no one is saying "Ooh! We must have
> IPv6!". But they need to be made aware of the fact that there is a "Second
> Internet" out there already, which happens to be running on IPv6. And that
> they are now only connected to the legacy Internet, which means they're
> missing out on stuff.
>
> Maybe this is said a bit too simplistically, but I hope you catch my drift
> here. That's how the first Internet on IPv4 started to grow, maybe
> unknowing or ignoring the security threats that came with it. We just had
> to be connected, no matter what. Nowadays, we know how important security
> is when being connected to a worldwide network. Fear of the unknown IPv6
> and wanting it to be perfect from the start is working against the
> adoption of IPv6.
>
> So, the big question is how to inspire the public's "pioneering spirit"
> and get this IPv6 thing going ;-)
>

> -Alexander
>

> Op 24-11-11 11:32 schreef Carlos Martinez-Cagnazzo <carlosm3011 at gmail.com>:
>
>> I agree with Arturo. While I agree the presented research is extremely
>> valuable, we need to properly present the problem to the general public,
>> that is if we want IPv6 to go anywhere. I think we have a PR problem.
>>
>> Should we had reacted like this in the past, we would have never enabled
>> IPv4 and we would still be using IPX and SNA.

Carlos M. Martinez
LACNIC