[ipv6hackers] my IPv6 insecurity slides

Alexander | EMINEOX.com alexander at emineox.com
Thu Nov 24 12:11:07 CET 2011

Well, in terms of PR I do think there is indeed a problem. Back in the
days when Internet started to grow, the general public didn't say "Ooh! We
must have TCP/IP!". No, they wanted to be connected to that new thingy
called The Internet. Now, of course no one is saying "Ooh! We must have
IPv6!". But they need to be made aware of the fact that there is a "Second
Internet" out there already, which happens to be running on IPv6. And that
they are now only connected to the legacy Internet, which means they're
missing out on stuff.

Maybe this is said a bit too simplistically, but I hope you catch my drift
here. That's how the first Internet on IPv4 started to grow, maybe
unknowing or ignoring the security threats that came with it. We just had
to be connected, no matter what. Nowadays, we know how important security
is when being connected to a worldwide network. Fear of the unknown IPv6
and wanting it to be perfect from the start is working against the
adoption of IPv6.

So, the big question is how to inspire the public's "pioneering spirit"
and get this IPv6 thing going ;-)

-Alexander