[ipv6hackers] IPv6 security presentation at Hack.lu 2011

Fernando Gont fgont at si6networks.com
Thu Sep 22 10:44:55 CEST 2011

Eric,

On 09/22/2011 04:33 AM, Eric Vyncke (evyncke) wrote:
> Just to focus on the point whether enabling IPv6 is good or not...
> which is I think the major disagreement that I have with Fernando's
> points.

Note that my presentation does not even touch on the subject on whether
there is good incentive to deploy IPv6 or not. It just focuses on
dismantling a number of myths regarding IPv6 security, and discussing a
number of issues that affect the security of emerging deployments.

> Security people saying 'NO' are looking for trouble, they should say
> 'YES, BUT' :-)

Security people must discuss the security implications. Whether the
final answer is "YES" or "NOT" depends on a number of factors
(basically, if the the benefits you get are worth the increased risk),
and are not a "one size fits all".

For example, there are reasons for which, for example, a defense network
might not want to deploy IPv6.

> My point is that indeed organizations should move to IPv6 but this
> must be planned with training, education, ...

My point was, essentially, that if you decide to deploy IPv6, this
should be planned with proper education, and consideration of the
security implications.

Thanks,
--
Fernando Gont