[ipv6hackers] [OOO] Re: Dynamic prefixes & privacy (was: IPv6 prefix changing)

Marco Ermini marco.ermini at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 11:08:10 CET 2012

On 19 March 2012 21:16, Owen DeLong wrote:
[...]
> Well, very early in the thread, I had stated that I felt German privacy laws were
> bizarre, dysfunctional, and somewhat insane in this regard. I now realize that
> they aren't laws, but, some other form of {social,economic,governmental,other}
> pressure that I don't fully understand, but which is somehow so pervasive that
> it is often mistaken for law.
>
> Regardless of the source, they have created a uniquely German brand of
> dysfunction as near as I can tell. One which I would not want to inflict on
> other parts of the world and one which I think Germany would be well served
> to reconsider.

Privacy laws in Germany are not that different from the rest of
Europe. There is, AFAIK, some addition in terms of capability of
monitoring workers. I work in a multi-national company (which is a
telco in Germany, BTW) and we need to have special rules in proxies
and similar, only for German employees.

However, it has to be said that these laws are the ones that permits
our data not to be sold to American companies which monetise from them
without any regards for the privacy of the people. In a certain sense
I am very glad that European data has to stay in Europe and that
something like what Google of Facebook do in the rest of the World, is
- in theory - monitored or at least contrasted in Europe (at least on
the paper).

That said,

1) I believe that's really out of topic here :-)
2) on my (German) cable connection, I very rarely get my IP address
changed (although it's only IPv4), and
3) I don't think there is any issue with either dynamic or static
addresses and/or prefixes for accounting, monitoring, etc. - every
tool we have today is able to check the user against a RADIUS system.
It is really much more like a monetisation issue - I can sell you
static addresses/prefixes for an additional price, as well as QoS
services, etc.

Cheers
--
Marco Ermini
root at human # mount -t life -o ro /dev/dna /genetic/research