[ipv6hackers] Dynamic prefixes & privacy (was: IPv6 prefix changing)

Owen DeLong owend at he.net
Mon Mar 19 21:16:46 CET 2012

On Mar 19, 2012, at 12:51 PM, S.P.Zeidler wrote:

> Thus wrote Owen DeLong (owend at he.net):
>
>> Well, every time you change prefixes, you disrupt the user's flows. If that
>> happens more than once a week, you tend to get customer complaints
>> about it.
>
> Almost all German residential DSL plans reset their customers' connections
> every 24h.
> It used to be "to preserve IP addresses" (nobody believes that any more)
> Now it's "but think of the chiiiildrun^W^Wprivacy"
>
> Meanwhile, some people are so used to having manure heaped onto them that
> they wonder how they will keep warm and moisturized if the daily helping
> stops.
>
> I don't have <de>Zwangstrennung</de>. I pay extra for this privilege.

Well, very early in the thread, I had stated that I felt German privacy laws were
bizarre, dysfunctional, and somewhat insane in this regard. I now realize that
they aren't laws, but, some other form of {social,economic,governmental,other}
pressure that I don't fully understand, but which is somehow so pervasive that
it is often mistaken for law.

Regardless of the source, they have created a uniquely German brand of
dysfunction as near as I can tell. One which I would not want to inflict on
other parts of the world and one which I think Germany would be well served
to reconsider.

Owen