[ipv6hackers] Dynamic prefixes & privacy (was: IPv6 prefix changing)

S.P.Zeidler spz at serpens.de
Wed Mar 21 21:36:59 CET 2012

Thus wrote Carlos Martinez-Cagnazzo (carlosm3011 at gmail.com):

> <rant alert>
> All this talk about depending on changing IPv4 assignments for privacy,
> the 'NAT is security' mantra reminds me of Stockholm Syndrome. We've
> been buried so long under these hacks that we accept them as if they
> were good things.

Exactly this. People are so used to "the network border is where the NAT
happens" that "there is no NAT" sends them into a panic.

Same with the Peanuts' Linus like love for the blanket of changing
IP address: doesn't actually help in the age of cookies, web bugs et al,
but makes the user feel better (and likely this false sense of security
makes them not use effective privacy measures, thus making it easier for
the people who want to track them to keep doing so).

regards,
	spz
--
spz at serpens.de (S.P.Zeidler)