[ipv6hackers] Dynamic prefixes & privacy (was: IPv6 prefix changing)

Aled Morris aledm at qix.co.uk
Mon Mar 26 16:05:32 CEST 2012

On 21 March 2012 18:19, Carlos Martinez-Cagnazzo <carlosm3011 at gmail.com>wrote:

> The idea (and I clearly remember vendor presentations expressing just
> this and my clueless bosses at the time nodding with smiles in their
> faces) was that in order to avoid cheap DSL carving into your profitable
> Frame Relay/ATM services you had to somehow make it very hard for people
> to host servers in their DSL services.

I agree totally with what you say.

There was an additional factor in the "dynamic IP" deployment in that many
access providers evolved to offering DSL from their dialup modem business
model where dynamic IPs for subscribers were implemented for address
conservation reasons (one IP per incoming line rather than one IP per
registered user.)

Of course those reasons were bogus too - there were enough IPs for all the
dialup customers really.

Aled