[ipv6hackers] Autoassign IPv6 address to the interface SENDIN OUT the RA?

Matija Grabnar matija at serverflow.com
Wed Mar 28 10:05:09 CEST 2012

Hi!
This question may be too trivial for this group, please be patient and
just point me to the relevant docs if so.

The background: I have a network of Linux servers. One of the servers is
the
IPv6 gateway, and it uses radvd to notify all the other servers of the
network prefix,
so the servers can autoconfigure their IPv6 addresses.

So far, no problems. The problem I have is that the interface I am
sending FROM does not
autoconfigure - unless I assign an address to it manually, (for instance
in /etc/network/interfaces)
it only gets a link local address.

It's not a critical problem, I just find it annoying, and I'd like to
find a way to fix it. I looked through the radvd man page and couldn't
see anything relevant. Anyway, I suspect it may be something I need to
set on the Linux (in this particular case, Debian) side, and not in radvd.

Any hints, comments, pointers?