[ipv6hackers] Autoassign IPv6 address to the interface SENDIN OUT the RA?

Marc Heuse mh at mh-sec.de
Wed Mar 28 10:30:23 CEST 2012

Hi Matija,

your problem can not be solved like this :-)
your network adapter does send the RA packet to the network to an
all-node multicast address, so when the packet is echoed on the network,
your network adapter will ignore it and not pass it on to your kernel.
your kernel never sees sees packets itself sends as incoming traffic.

Two solutions: manual configuration, or let a 2nd server also sending RA
so your first server is picking them up ...
The second solution I'd call an ugly hack, so it fits the purpose of
this mailing list ;-)

Greets,
Marc

Am 28.03.2012 10:05, schrieb Matija Grabnar:
> Hi!
> This question may be too trivial for this group, please be patient and
> just point me to the relevant docs if so.
>
> The background: I have a network of Linux servers. One of the servers is
> the
> IPv6 gateway, and it uses radvd to notify all the other servers of the
> network prefix,
> so the servers can autoconfigure their IPv6 addresses.
>
> So far, no problems. The problem I have is that the interface I am
> sending FROM does not
> autoconfigure - unless I assign an address to it manually, (for instance
> in /etc/network/interfaces)
> it only gets a link local address.
>
> It's not a critical problem, I just find it annoying, and I'd like to
> find a way to fix it. I looked through the radvd man page and couldn't
> see anything relevant. Anyway, I suspect it may be something I need to
> set on the Linux (in this particular case, Debian) side, and not in radvd.
>
> Any hints, comments, pointers?

Marc Heuse
www.mh-sec.de

PGP: FEDD 5B50 C087 F8DF 5CB9  876F 7FDD E533 BF4F 891A