[ipv6hackers] Finding v6 hosts by efficiently mapping ip6.arpa

Richard Barnes richard.barnes at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 16:28:02 CEST 2012

Indeed, that's a pretty clever idea.  Note, however, that it only
works where the reverse tree is actually populated.  Example below
(disclaimer: I am not in BBN's IT department, I don't know why they
haven't provisioned).  Overall, it seems like you're more likely to
find things like mail servers like this (where the reverse is actually
used) than, say, home users.

$ dig +short ns4.bbn.com AAAA
2620:3b:0:107a::d

$ dig b.3.0.0.0.2.6.2.ip6.arpa

; <<>> DiG 9.7.3-P3 <<>> b.3.0.0.0.2.6.2.ip6.arpa
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;b.3.0.0.0.2.6.2.ip6.arpa.	IN	A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
0.0.0.2.6.2.ip6.arpa.	3482	IN	SOA	z.arin.net. dns-ops.arin.net.
2012032901 10800 3600 691200 3600

;; Query time: 93 msec
;; SERVER: 128.33.0.20#53(128.33.0.20)
;; WHEN: Thu Mar 29 16:26:40 2012