[ipv6hackers] "Stick to limited IPv6 deployments, businesses warned"

Tim Chown tjc at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Sep 3 10:45:26 CEST 2012

On 2 Sep 2012, at 20:15, Jim Small <jim.small at cdw.com> wrote:

> Hi Tomas,
>
>> Fore those who might be interested in our experience  with deploying
>> IPv6 within university campus we sum upt it in
>> http://ipv6.vutbr.cz/article/deploying-ipv6-practical-problems-from-the-
>> campus-perspective/
>
> A fabulous write up.  In your conclusion though you seem to imply that Windows XP is widespread and "next-generation" versions of Windows will accelerate IPv6 deployment.  Windows Vista was released on November 8, 2006 and Windows 7 on July 22, 2009.  Windows Vista and Windows 7 combined have had a greater market share than XP for quite a while and very recently Windows 7 has overtaken XP as the dominant O/S for web page views:
> http://www.zdnet.com/windows-7-overtakes-xp-mac-os-x-steams-ahead-of-vista-7000003591/
>
> Of course it may be different on Brno's campus, but globally XP's usage is steadily declining.

I'd assume most campuses upgrade the platforms they provide quite regularly.  Ours is now pretty much all Win7.

The bigger issue is user-owned devices, and they outnumber the 'managed' systems, in our department by about 3 to 1. Those could be running anything, and not join management domains. Which is also the reason you need to embrace devices picking their own IPv6 addresses and using appropriate tools for address accountability.

Tim

PS. I am reminded of http://www.kulfoto.com/funny-pictures/28099/still-love-vista-baby ;)