[ipv6hackers] Dual stack on DOCSIS infrastructure

Tor Houghton torh-ipv6hackers at bogus.net
Wed Aug 28 12:15:27 CEST 2013

On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 07:28:52AM +0200, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:

> I have done a proof of concept on DOCSIS3, took a few hours to get
> infrastructure such as DHCPv6-PD delegation in the ISC dhcpd working
> properly together with everything, but it wasn't very hard.
>
> This was of course in the lab, just to see if we could get basic
> packet flowing with the gear at hand. DOCSIS3 has quite good IPv6
> features in the specs and it your gear complies with the spec, it
> should work.

Hey Mikael,

It's not so much whether or not IPv6 "works", it's more about what
functionality is actually supported (and how). NetFlow on Cisco's current
uBR 10k platform (the CMTS) doesn't appear to work for IPv6, for example (I
could be wrong, but this is what the documentation leads me to believe).

Any pitfalls relating to filtering, for example? UDC versus "regular" ACL's
(I'm thinking in relation to the recommendations that Eric Vynke mentions in
his IPv6 security book as well as other sources).

Perhaps it is just too broad a question to ask here (it was only if someone
had experience :-), I will make sure to take it to our vendors.

Regards,

Tor (and sorry if this too gets sorted in with the wrong thread; I'll be
more careful next time I start a new topic).