[ipv6hackers] the end is near (or for IPv6: the beginning)

Joe St Sauver joe at oregon.uoregon.edu
Mon Dec 30 19:11:46 CET 2013

Hi and Happy New Year,

<hlk at kramse.org> wrote:

#first they will have an explosion of people buying IPv4 - we had a
#customer in DK paying $17 each for a /20 of IP space

That's a bargain at that price, IMHO.

Remember that ISPs may charge $14.95/month for a single static IP
(example: http://business.comcast.com/internet/business-internet/static-ip )
Thus, a one time investment of $17 may return $179.40 over even just the
course of a year.

Oh, and naturally, that IP is a not a one year asset, it is one that would
yield returns for multiple years (depending upon your level of pessimism or
cynicism, maybe three or four years, maybe ten or twelve years), so multiply
accordingly (you can/should discount future earnings by whatever discount
factor you think may be appropriate, but given low market returns, in
practice its hardly worth bothering to do so).

Any valueation also needs to consider the possibility that w/o adequate
IPv4 address space, if that's what your customer wants or needs, you may
lose that customer and the revenue that customer represents, and *that*
cost may dwarf any other considerations.

So as I mentioned, $17 an IPv4 address strikes me as a real bargain.

Regards,

Joe