[ipv6hackers] The state of IPv6 (pen)testing and the future

Enno Rey erey at ernw.de
Wed Jan 30 17:18:50 CET 2013

Hi,

Disclaimer: I'm the technical host of the events mentioned below.
Still I write this merely as a guy caring about IPv6 security.

On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 01:38:41AM -0300, Fernando Gont wrote:
> On 01/23/2013 04:03 PM, Merike Kaeo wrote:
> > FWIW I am going to RSA just to play with the products on show floor
> > and will see how many devices I can play with that do have real v6 in
> > them.
>
> FWIW, I've been playing with the idea of holding an ipv6hackers meeting
> next to the IETF meetings (a la IEPG). It doesn't necessarily need to be
> in the context of IETF meetings, but it might be a good idea to hae such
> a thing.
>
> I'm not thinking about a "conference", but rather about an informal
> meeting were people can show cool IPv6 stuff -- for the most part, point
> fingers at broken stuff, show tools, and discuss solutions to existing
> problems.
>
> If anyone is interested in pursuing this idea, please do let me know.

This is exactly what the "IPv6 Security Summit" (https://www.troopers.de/agenda13/troopers13-ipv6-security-summit-2013/index.html) at Troopers strives to be, in the future.
Agreed, this is a "commercial event" - or at least looks like one -  but the main purpose is to contribute to the greater good of the IPv6 security world, similar to the TelcoSecDay we introduced last year.
[as a side note: both at Troopers and potentially at the IPv6 Secsummit as well, we usually have a 1:1 ratio of researchers/students vs. "paying industry attendees", so neither event is about making profits and actually we've never done so in the past ;-)].

In any case we'd be happy to provide a forum in the above spirit by means of the event and I'd like to invite everybody here to contribute. If anybody thinks (s)he should be part of it but is unable/not willing to pay the fee, just let me
 know. We've always been open to invite individuals once compelling reasons as for their merit in the sense of the event were provided...

That said, I think Fernando's suggestion here is a great one and would be willing to join, be it next to an IETF meeting (btw, Fernando, Troopers14 will _not_ happen in parallel to IETF [89] ;-)) or at another occasion.

best

Enno

> Cheers,
> --
> Fernando Gont
> e-mail: fernando at gont.com.ar || fgont at si6networks.com
> PGP Fingerprint: 7809 84F5 322E 45C7 F1C9 3945 96EE A9EF D076 FFF1

Enno Rey

** International IT Security Conference & Workshops **
***  Coming Soon / Heidelberg, Germany             ***

ERNW GmbH - Carl-Bosch-Str. 4 - 69115 Heidelberg - www.ernw.de
Tel. +49 6221 480390 - Fax 6221 419008 - Cell +49 174 3082474
PGP FP 055F B3F3 FE9D 71DD C0D5  444E C611 033E 3296 1CC1

Handelsregister Mannheim: HRB 337135
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Enno Rey