[ipv6hackers] opportunistic encryption in IPv6

Jim Small jim.small at cdw.com
Tue Jun 11 01:07:21 CEST 2013

Hi Eugen,

I took a quick look at this - a very interesting idea.  I see a few issues that I didn't see answers to:
* Paper references a host using MLD to join an Anycast group - but AFAIK, this is not in the standards (was a draft that appeared to die) and not supported
* Says PKI isn't good, but then uses a form of it as part of the solution

The fundamental challenge for encryption is key distribution and management:
* How do I authenticate the intended recipient(s)?
* How do I distribute a key without letting anyone except the intended recipient(s) get it?
* How do I manage the key to periodically change it while keeping it confidential?
* How do I notify the recipient if the key was compromised or is otherwise invalid?

If this paper addressed this I missed it.  The paper seems to imply that hosts get an RSA key pair but I didn't see how.  If I'm relying on public keys, how do I know they're legitimate?

The other challenge I see with this paper is that the "simple" endpoints must obtain a key pair, configure a CGA, and take explicit action to opt-in to encryption.  Given the target I think this is unlikely to succeed.  I think this is an interesting idea.  For it to have a chance of adoption I think it would have to be transparent to the endpoints.

--Jim