[ipv6hackers] RA guard evasion

Eric Vyncke (evyncke) evyncke at cisco.com
Tue May 14 12:55:30 CEST 2013

Matej

Thanks for forwarding the document. And, indeed, it is known for about 2 years now that RAguard can be evaded (the first time I heard about it was in IPv6 Kongress in Germany).

As indicated by some of your readers, 'undetermined-transport' can help you and BTW, do not fear too much to drop legit packets as we still have to find such a legit packet with this weird fragmentation. I would even go further and, when undetermined-transport is not available, then dropping all fragments could be the last resort (and then I am afraid that you may drop some legit traffic -- yet to be seen though as MSS rules nowadays).

There are even some efforts/initiatives at the IETF to remove fragmentation out of IPv6. As a security guy, I applause but I wonder, as a networking guy, whether it is feasible...

BTW, even if Ra-guard is not the silver bullet against an attacker (see above), it is really useful for misconfigured CPE/hosts believing that there should be an IPv6 router :-)

Again, thanks for the writing

-éric