[ipv6hackers] RA guard evasion

Matej Gregr igregr at fit.vutbr.cz
Tue May 14 13:51:41 CEST 2013

Eric,
  thanks for your comment, but it rises some questions for me.

1) Indeed, fragmentation is known topic. But, have you been aware, that
fragmentation is not the only way, how to evade the RA guard policy?
Personally, I was not aware of any other information pointing, that you
can also awade the ra guard with specific number of extension headers
and thats the reason, why the article was published.

2) Legit packets are for example MLD reports, which are using hop-by-hop
header and these packets will be filtered with the
undertermined-transport (tested). My understanding is, that the switches
will not be able to build mld snooping database, thus all NS/NA traffic
will be broadcasted (same situation as you don't have mld capable
devices). Actually one of the reasons, why ICMPv6 is so loved by IPv6
friendly people is, that the address resolution is multicasted instead
of broadcasted and you will disable the feature by using the
undetermined-transport ACL.

M.