[ipv6hackers] Question on DHCPv6 address assignment

Marc Heuse mh at mh-sec.de
Sat Feb 1 09:57:59 CET 2014

when I looked at the DHCPv6 servers 4 years ago, most of them (that I
looked at) were handing out the addresses incrementally.
when I reported those as a problem, this was changed to random.
Currently I am not aware of a DHCPv6 server that hands out addresses
incrementally anymore, but you never know.

but what you see in the example config files (and that is what people
90% use) - something like ::1000-::2000 is used. thats 2048 addresses.
scan these for all documented examples (I found 5 or 6) and you scan all
of them pretty fast.

no clue on the renewing mechanism, my guess is they renew what they got
as this is the standard behavior in IPv4.

Greets,
Marc

--
Marc Heuse
www.mh-sec.de

PGP: AF3D 1D4C D810 F0BB 977D  3807 C7EE D0A0 6BE9 F573