[ipv6hackers] Progress on IPv6 Anti-SPAM Solutions?

James Small jim.small at mail.com
Thu Feb 13 04:41:47 CET 2014

Has there been progress in the commercial space on IPv6 anti-spam solutions?
There are certainly some commercial gateways that support IPv6 and IPv6 SMTP
but every vendor I've spoken with states that their address/reputation-based
filtering is a "work-in-progress."  My understanding is that > 80% of
blocked messages rely on this type of technology in IPv4, so it's absence in
IPv6 is a problem.  Furthermore, it seems like most "cloud" based SMTP
scrubbing services do not yet support IPv6 (I know there are a few).  When
discussing IPv6 and IPv6 security with organizations, this still seems like
a major weakness.

I know of the following:

http://www.cloudmark.com/en/whitepapers/smtp-abuse-prevention-in-ipv6-networ
ks

http://www.spamhaus.org/organization/statement/012/spamhaus-ipv6-blocklists-
strategy-statement

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-martin-smtp-ipv6-to-ipv4-fallback-00
(ideas to push authentication for v6)

http://meetings.apnic.net/__data/assets/pdf_file/0018/44415/ipv6-and-botnet-
spam_apricot_2012_1329718069.pdf (generic coverage of many of the issues for
v6)

I'm interested in any progress you know of in this area - especially
whitepapers, commercially viable solutions, success stories.

Thanks,

  --Jim