[ipv6hackers] the end is near (or for IPv6: the beginning)

Neil Anderson nta at entac.net
Fri Jan 24 23:34:56 CET 2014

On 24 Jan 2014, at 21:03, Gert Doering <gert at space.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 12:57:44PM -0800, Joseph Jackson wrote:
>>> Now that's fairly easy, I think - Server 2003 should be out of support any day now, no?
>>
>>> Or are you honestly telling me you're running unix versions that are so old that they do not have IPv6, like Solaris 7 or SCO?
>>
>> I don't know how your enterprise works but most companies tend to only invest in new hardware when absolutely needed.  I don't blame them in that regard.
>
> Well, the thread was initially about things connected to the Internet
> (about NAT as a requirement because people can't have enough public
> IPv4 addresses).  So I'm not particularily concerned about what enterprises
> do *internally* - but it would scare me to hear about enterprises running
> stuff on the external Internet that is old enough to be unable to do
> IPv6…

There are a few (scarily important) enterprises that I’ve worked with that have _very_ old versions of Windows in extranets - as in NT 4 and Windows 2000.  Just because something scares you, doesn’t mean they don’t exist!  And before you ask, yes I did tell them to get rid of them as soon as possible.  I still expect to see those companies in the paper almost every day.