[ipv6hackers] Configuring my laptop to use RFC 7217

Mark Elkins mje at posix.co.za
Wed Jul 12 13:00:52 CEST 2017

Hi,

On my laptop, I run Gentoo linux, Kernel 4.9.16

I currently generate random IPv6 addresses (RFC 4941) which means in my
/etc/syctl.conf, i have:

# Allow IPV6 Random addresses
net.ipv6.conf.all.use_tempaddr=2
net.ipv6.conf.default.use_tempaddr=2

This works just fine - but I would like to have deterministic IPv6
addresses per network that I visit (RFC 7217)

My "/etc/dhcpcd.conf" file contains "slaac private"

Also - running "sysctl -a" gives me what appears to suggest RFC 7217 is
enabled in my kernel,

sysctl: reading key "net.ipv6.conf.all.stable_secret"
sysctl: reading key "net.ipv6.conf.default.stable_secret"
sysctl: reading key "net.ipv6.conf.eth0.stable_secret"

I have been searching around, read RFC 7217 - etc and see some info on
the subject but not enough..

I don't have a program called "addrgenmode" (neither does "equery b
addrgenmode" give anything). From reading - this appears to initialise
the "stable secret".

Anyone care to  provide idiot instructions on how to run "Opaque
Interface" addresses on my Linux gentoo laptop?

--
Mark James ELKINS  -  Posix Systems - (South) Africa
mje at posix.co.za       Tel: +27.128070590  Cell: +27.826010496