[ipv6hackers] Security/Privacy Improvements to stable SLAAC addresses

Fernando Gont fgont at si6networks.com
Thu Jun 29 06:53:19 CEST 2017

Folks,

It looks like somehow I forgot to send a heads-up to this list regarding
the following:

Earlier this year RFC8064 as published, recommending use of RFC7217 fr
the generation of stable addresses with SLAAC, and recommending
*against* the generation of stable addresses by embedding MAC addresses
in the Interface-ID

At the time of this writing, at least two OSes already ship with RFC7217
enabled by default:

* Fedora
* Mac OS

I've written two articles on this topic for TechTarget, which provide
both background/context info on the topic, and also discuss practical
considerations.

* Part #1:
<http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/tip/IPv6-update-A-look-at-the-security-and-privacy-improvements>

* Part #2: