[ipv6hackers] Fwd: SLAAC on non-/64 networks

Mukom Akong T. mukom.tamon at gmail.com
Sun Mar 18 10:02:24 CET 2018

On 17 March 2018 at 21:06, Fernando Gont <fgont at si6networks.com> wrote:

> FYI, OpenBSD now ships with RFC7217 support, and in the process, they
> have removed the artificial /64 limit, and can do SLAAC on prefixes
> shorter and longer than /64 (say, /60, /32, etc.).

Hmm ... does anyone know of a credible use-case for a shorter prefix length
in PIO?
Anyone has experience to share about the what actually happens with a
longer than 64 prefix length in slack?

The second part of that equation is ... a 'router' can send PIO with prefix
length set to anything ...but will hosts support it?

> Quite cool. -- but even if you disagree, I guess the "FYI" is still
> valuable. :-)
>
> P.S.: The reader might enjoy the commit message at:
> <https://cvsweb.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/src/sbin/
> slaacd/engine.c#rev1.22>
>  :-)
>
> Thanks!
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Fernando Gont
> SI6 Networks
> e-mail: fgont at si6networks.com
> PGP Fingerprint: 6666 31C6 D484 63B2 8FB1 E3C4 AE25 0D55 1D4E 7492

Mukom Akong T.

LinkedIn:Mukom <https://www.linkedin.com/in/mukom>  |  twitter:
@perfexcellent