[ipv6hackers] (IETF I-D); Implications of IPv6 Addressing on Security Operations (Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-gont-opsec-ipv6-addressing-00.txt)

Andrew Walding awalding at gmail.com
Sat Feb 4 12:04:03 -03 2023

Hi Fernando,
There is a typo in Section 4.1 I think (sunch instead of such).
.
A couple of general comments.
I think this is a good subject and one that probably needs guidance as this
document suggests.  That said, I have the following thoughts:

   - I will start by being a bit picky.  I think the wording describing the
   issues is spread too vaguely and needs to be more specific as to the
   addressing issues.  For example in your email you say compared to IPv4
   where you are usually dealing with "an" address from a private or public
   network, but in IPv6 a given host could have multiple addresses in multiple
   prefixes/networks then compounded with the various address types of IPv6,
   yet this is muddled in the document itself.  I mean that is the point in
   the end - you cannot deal with IPv6 the same way you deal with IPv4 in this
   security scenario.
   - Now let me be general in this second point.  I think there is a
   big piece missing in this document, and that is what are the correct ways
   of thinking when it comes to these scenarios with IPv6.  you certainly hint
   at them, and for those who have implemented IPv6 in firewalls, we get where
   you are going, but the problem is you really never get to the end game in
   this draft.  Perhaps that was your intent, so that future drafts would add
   the necessary detail.

Anyway, I hope this helps in some way,
Best,
Andy