[ipv6hackers] IPv6 Addressing Plan Hints?

Dan York york at isoc.org
Tue Jan 7 16:21:02 CET 2014

Johannes,

On 1/7/14 10:00 AM, "Johannes Weber" <johannes at webernetz.net> wrote:

>our team is currently planning an IPv6 address
>scheme and would like to know if there are any guidelines and best
>practices out there?

<snip>

>Are there any guidelines for
>handling the host IDs? Such as using a portion of the host ID for the
>"type of machine" such as router, server, firewall, etc.?

There are a number of different documents out there with recommendations
on IPv6 addressing schemes.  We've put a page up listing several of the
ones we are aware of:

http://www.internetsociety.org/deploy360/resources/ipv6-address-planning/

(And would welcome information about other documents we can add to that
page.)

Hope that helps,
Dan

--
Dan York
Senior Content Strategist, Internet Society

http://www.internetsociety.org/deploy360/