[ipv6hackers] Configuring my laptop to use RFC 7217

Francis Dupont Francis.Dupont at fdupont.fr
Mon Jul 17 15:05:12 CEST 2017

Note that RFC 7217 addresses are not supposed to assign by DHCP.
After an exchange with Tomek Mrugalski (both DHCP implementor
and one of IETF DHC WG chair) the conclusion was (quoting Tomek):

7217 defines how to do it with SLAAC, not in DHCP. There was a draft
specific to that (draft-ietf-dhc-stable-privacy-addresses). It was
adopted in DHC, but after a while it was rejected. Here's the email with
summary of the issues:
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/dhcwg/iQKRFN2iRx4zqkyijBub9X-4Byg

(and I am aware there was an answer so my goal is not to reopen
a discussion but to explain why this is (and will) not supported
by all DHCP servers).

Thanks

Francis.Dupont at fdupont.fr